Thursday, June 24, 2010

Breaking Past My Wall

I decided to register for the Adidas Sundown run back in December 2009, not knowing what to expect, least of all from myself. Then on 29 May 2010, I did the unimaginable - I ran a whole 10Km in 1hr 24mins, with absolutely NO serious training, wearing a brand new running shoe (definitely a no-no) and coping with a fever and very sore throat.


To cut the story short, I was amazed I managed to finish the run at all, and more amazed that I wasn't injured or struggling to breathe or anything (thank you, painkillers). The only thought going through my mind at that time was, I've just got to finish this, I know I'm strong enough to do this. I had this mental picture of my baby waiting for me at the Finish Line, and I couldn't let him wait too long because it was a very hot evening and he'd be hungry soon.... so just suck it in and RUN, dammit!

Yeah, I must say that I exceeded my expectations and was proud of my achievement. Out of nearly 5000 runners, I was ranked 1709! How cool is that? To prove that I really did it, here is the evidence in pics.
All smiles with my baby before the run. That smile would soon disappear at about 3km.



The sea of runners. Can you spot me? (Clue: I wasn't in this shot)









My lucky bib



My finisher's medal.... yeaaayyy!










All sweaty but immensely happy at the end.

Btw, my friend FL also participated and we were supposed to run together but due to some technical glitches, she started late and couldn't catch up. There's always next year.... except that I'm more ambitious and want to run the half-marathon (21km) instead!

To kick off the training programme, I've started running (well, more like a slow jog) yesterday and this afternoon. My baby cycled while I ran beside him, an hour each time. I'm not sure about the distance covered, but I resolve to be more professional about this running thing and utilise my pedometer next time. After all, it's been sitting in its box long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment